If you too feel like the classic picture of a woman with a towel wrapped around her head and two freshly sliced cucumbers on the eyes is a cliché, we couldn’t agree more! However, cucumber extract has some real skincare benefits that cannot go a miss!
What is Cucumber Extract Exactly?
Origin: Plant extract, antioxidant, all-natural.
INC Name: On skincare product labels cucumber extract goes by its Latin name Cucumis Sativus.
Cucumis Sativus Composition: 95% water and other constituents including proteins, ascorbic acid, fatty acids, caffeic acid (an antioxidant), vitamin C, vitamin K, mineral silica and others.
Fragrance: Cucumis Sativus contains fragrant components that are not sensitizing to your skin (i.e are not allergens). Cucumis sativus is used not only for its nourishing properties for the skin, but also to enhance the natural scent of creams lotions and other cosmetic products in a natural way.
Method of Derivation: Cold-pressing.
As you can see cucumber extract is jam packed with all the right micronutrients and trace elements, so it comes as no surprise it does a lot of your skin.
What Does Cucumber Extract Do For Your Skin?
1. Hydrating. Thanks to its 95% water composition, cucumber extract maintains high levels of hydration in the skin which ensure its fresh, glowy and dewy appearance.
2. Calming/Soothing. Cucumber extract has potent calming properties and is known to soothe the skin after sun exposure, irritation, redness and acne-inflammation
3. Antioxidant. Thanks to the added caffeic acid and vitamins C and K, cucumber extract is a powerful antioxidant that helps keep the free radicals at bay. This makes it a great aid in the fight against wrinkles and fine lines.
4. Anti-aging and renewing. Thanks to the high water content (95%) and micronutrients in the composition, Cucumis sativus helps keep the skin plump and hydrated. This minimizes the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and slows the aging process.
5. Anti Acne properties. Thanks to the ascorbic acid and mineral silica in its composition, cucumber extract does have some beneficial properties on skin suffering with acne. It is a natural astringent, meaning it causes the contraction of skin cells and helps tighten the pores.
6. Reduces Swelling and Puffiness. Cucumber extract is indeed very beneficial for the area around the eyes. Its potent hydrating and soothing properties help reduce any swelling, puffiness and bags under the eyes (especially if chilled beforehand).
7. Refreshing and energizing. Products containing cucumber have powerful refreshing and re-energizing properties and can help the appearance of tired, saggy and dull-looking skin.
Cucumber Range by Biofresh
The cucumber range by Biofresh includes 4 face care products that combine the powerful properties of Cucumis sativus extract and employs them to hydrate, plump, depuff and soothe the skin on the face and eye contour. The products have refreshing and anti-inflammatory properties and are further enriched with hyaluronic acid and panthenol. They cleanse, moisturize and restore the radiance and glow of the skin.